- This event has passed.
A Scottish Rainbow Klezmer Kabaret for Lag B’Omer
May 12, 2020 @ 7:30 pm - 10:30 pm
Michael Alpert, Adrianne Greenbaum, Gica Loening, Lev Atlas, and Phil Alexander.
On Tuesday 12th May, 7.00 for 7.30 p.m. (UK time) on ZOOM
SCoJeC, the Scottish Council of Jewish Communities, presents:
- Michael Alpert (US/Scotland): Award winning Klezmer musician and international Yiddish song “resource person” – on voice, guitar, fiddle, accordion
- Adrianne Greenbaum (US): Professor of Flute at MHC and pioneer of the klezmer flute tradition, Adrianne is a nationally acclaimed flutist and clinician, performing on historical instruments of the 18th and 19th centuries. As well as a classical career, she leads a flute-based klezmer ensemble, ‘Fleytmusik’
- Gica Loening (Scotland), Klezmer and Scottish fiddle player, and founder of dance and klezmer bands in Edinburgh. She is director of Fun Fiddle for adults and children, a freelance community music practitioner, and lead officer for the Youth Music Initiaitive for East Lothian
- Lev Atlas (Russia/Scotland): Lev is principal viola player at the Scottish Opera Orchestra as well as being a virtuoso Klezmer and Eastern European music performer
- Phil Alexander (Scotland): as well as leading the acclaimed band Moishe’s Bagel and performing regularly with many other fine folk & jazz ensembles, accordionist Phil is British Academy Research Fellow at the University of Glasgow, where he looks at historical Jewish-Scottish musical encounters.
This event is not ticketed and is open to all whatever your ability to pay. The net proceeds will be divided between the musicians – who have lost revenue from their live gigs – and NHS charities in Scotland working to support patients and staff during the COVID19 crisis. Please donate generously (suggested amount £5/£15 per household).